St. Paul's Episcopal Church

Celebrating Christ's presence in a changing world

 
St. Paul's Episcopal Church St. Paul's Episcopal Church St. Paul's Episcopal Church St. Paul's Episcopal Church St. Paul's Episcopal Church St. Paul's Episcopal Church

History

On December 8, 1838, the founders of St. Paul's Parish met and began the task of drafting the Articles of Organization for a "new Protestant society." The Parish of St. Paul's Church was officially established with the signing by twenty-two persons of the articles of Organization on January 12, 1839.

Michigan Historical SiteIts first house of worship, a small frame church completed at a cost of $2,500 by vestry member Lemuel S. House, was consecrated on October 20, 1840. By 1850 the group had outgrown its original home, and plans were begun to build a larger church.

Designed by Buffalo architect Calvin N. Otis, the new Romanesque Revival church was consecrated on January 11, 1853. Remodeled and expanded several times, it is one of the oldest Episcopal church structures in southern Michigan.

History of Rectors

Rev. Richard Bury Rev. Richard Bury
1832-1833

Rev. Charles FoxRev. Charles Fox
1839-1841

Rev. Edward WaylenRev. Edward Waylen
1841-1842

Rev. C.W. FitchRev. C.W. Fitch
1842-1847

Rev. Daniel T. Grinnel, DDRev. Daniel T. Grinnel, DD
1847-1868

Rev. Richard Bury Rev. John T. Magrath
1868-1878

Rev. Richard Bury Rev. Myron A. Johnson, DD
1878-1883

Rev. Richard Bury Rev. Royal B. Balcom
1883-1902

Rev. Richard Bury Rev. Ralph E. Macduff
1902-1910

Rev. Richard Bury Rev. William H. Poole
1910-1921

Rev. Richard Bury Rev. Edward M. Parrott
1921-1925

Rev. Richard Bury Rev. William R. Campbell
1925-1928

Rev. Richard Bury Rev. Charles L. Ramsay
1928-1942

Rev. Richard Bury Rev. Howard Harper
1942-1952

Rev. Richard Bury Rev. Canon Frederick W. Brownell
1952-1978

Rev. Richard Bury Rev. Robert McDougall
1978-1989

Rev. Richard Bury Rev. Lloyd L. Olsen Jr.
1991-1998

Rev. Richard Bury Rev. Lawrence R. Walters
2000-2014